Uchideshi Notes. Day 5. Iwama

Finally with the fresh results of the PCR test in my pocket I headed to Iwama. For years I dreamed of becoming an uchideshi, but I could not do it because of my work. Now, my dream has come true, and I am in Iwama passing through the familiar railway station, bust of O-Sensei on the station square and "O-Sensei's street" with low pillars along the street showing O-Sensei's pictures.

Iwama train station

O-Sensei's bust at Iwama station





When I reached the Aiki-Jinja and dojo, I understood that being the first uchideshi after two years of covid restrictions would not be an easy task. It was always the uchideshi's responsibility to keep the dojo and jinja clean. Without people constantly living in the dojo, cleaning was performed only by volunteers from the neighbourhood. As a result, the place I got used to seeing shiny and spotless had a little wild look, which meant I would have a good deal of work.

Aiki-Jinja

View from the dojo

Dojo

Shortly after my arrival Inagaki sensei came to give me the key from the dojo and explain the uchideshi's schedule and responsibilities. Isoyama shihan also came to see and say hello to the first uchideshi in a while.  
Monday evening is a day when Oowada sensei teaches in Ibaraki Shibu Dojo. A few years ago I visited his dojo in Ishioka and even appeared on the picture published in his blog. However, it was a long time ago so Oowada sensei could not recall where he had seen my face before and I had to explain my story and background to him.

Me in the Ishioka dojo in 2018. 
http://aikidofromisioka.seesaa.net/article/462860334.html

 This time Oowada sensei taught three different entrances for yokomen uchi iriminage. 

The first night was a little tough for me because I did not get used to sleeping without the air-conditioner yet. Also, Japanese mosquitoes bothered me a lot. That night I said a thousand times "thank you" to my friend Natalia who presented me with an anti-mosquito spray a few hours ago. 

#aikido #aikidoireland #aikidodublin #iwamaaikido #iwama #kasama #ibaraki #takemusuaikidofingal #mykasama_jp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rathgar Dojo. 9 September 2023

Outdoor Workshop in Laytown. 13 August 2023